About the Appointment
Family Class applicants (sponsored) must have a “Medical Report Client Biodata & Summary” document (IMM 1017) before they can book their appointments. Please note that upfront medicals (worker, student & visa) do not require this paperwork.
When you come for your appointment you will need to bring the following items:
- Original Passport
- Any official paperwork from IRCC (work permit, study permit, visitor permit, etc.)
- Provincial Health Card (if applicable)
- Prescription Medications
- Prescription glasses / contact lenses, if required
Appointments are approximately 30-40 minutes per person. Please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment time. When you arrive, our staff will verify your documents, ask you to sign a client declaration and notice form, and will record your height, weight and take your photo. A urine sample is required when you arrive for your appointment.
The immigration medical exam will consist of:
1) Physical Examination:
- Blood pressure
- Head and neck
- ENT Eyes
- Motor function assessment
- Women over 40 may require a breast exam based on the history
- Patients over 75 will require a Mini Mental Assessment and a general Abilities Assessment
- Urinalysis (mandatory for all clients five years of age or older)
- Please note you may be asked to undress based on the requirement of the exam. You will be provided with a gown and cover. Women who require a chaperone, please ask ahead.
2) Pay fees at the hospital
At the Victoria General or Dartmouth General go to the business office with your blood work and chest x-ray requisitions given at your physical examination. At the IWK pay at the Diagnostic Imaging desk with your chest x-ray requisition. Bring the ID used at your physical examination.
3) Blood Work – mandatory for all clients ages 15 and up.
More blood work might be needed if medically indicated
- finish the medical exam except the x ray and wait until after the baby is born to complete the chest x-ray. The medical examination will be put on hold by IRCC until the x-ray is done
- have the x-ray done at the time of your examination using protected shield over the abdomen for protection, you may need to consult with the doctor who is following your pregnancy
- do your Immigration Medical after the deliver
The chest x-rays are completed at the Victoria General Hospital, located at 1276 South Park Street in Halifax, during working hours 8-4. By appointment only . You need to register at the business office first, located in the Centennial Building (click for map).
The chest x-ray and blood work can also be completed at the Dartmouth General Hospital, located at 325 Pleasant St, Dartmouth. By appointment only. You will need to pay at the Dartmouth General Business office first, located inside the hospital.
The chest x-ray for patients 15 years and younger are completed at the IWK Health Centre, located at 5980 University Ave in Halifax (click for map).
By appointment only and you will make payments at each location separately.
The cost for these are separate from the cost of our medicals. After the completion of these tests, results will be submitted to IRCC through eMedical. If there are any abnormal test results then additional testing may be required.